Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mid Century Kroehler Sleep or Lounge Sofa

Kroehler Sofa
I really wasn't in the mood to go thrifting last week, but I had not been down the road to a few of my favorite spots since... forever!
 
Thank goodness I made the trip.  After wandering for around I spotted this mustard yellow couch in fabulous condition.  I immediately sat down.  It was coming home with me.  Two decades ago I would have tossed anything mid century.  I have learned my lesson with age and I love the style and simplicity of 1950's furniture.
 
This sofa had to belong to someone with a "formal" living room.  I am not sure it was used, let alone touched, more than a few times. 
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. i've always loved this vintage and have been collecting for decades. it looks terrible in my house, but wonderful in my BF's bungalow.
    glad to se you appreciated its beauty. Looks great in your space. i think I'll stay awhile and see what else you're up to

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for looking at my space! I felt fortunate to be in the right place at the right time and find this lovely couch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    I have a brown Koehler couch that is a perfect match! However I've been thinking of getting rid of it--not that I want to! (it was a happy find at the family cottage) but it's just not as comfortable as it once was and I don't have the room to keep it as an extra couch.

    It is a well-used "Sleep and Lounge" and even after buying new foam for the seat cushions it's not that comfortable. The springs are worn maybe? (it is NOT a comfortable pull-out). I'm curious what your S&L is like to actually sleep on. Any ideas for reinvigorating a couch like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      I actually agree about the comfort, at least for sitting. It does give way when sitting on it. My husband was wondering about an item that has been on tv that is supposed to give sagging couch seats a new life. I was thinking about trying plywood or some kind of wood slats!
      For sleeping, the only idea I have is using a real mattress on it, but then storage would be an issue.
      As for style and looks... it is fabulous!

      Delete
  4. This is such great inspiration! I have been debating about how to furnish. I'm working on, and I think this is the right technique for it. Thanks for the info!
    Sofa repairs Manchester

    ReplyDelete